A little bit about the guy behind this site
Hey there, I’m Tilo!
I’m a 28-year old Software Engineering manager and a full-stack software engineer at SoundHound. I build Houndify, a next-generation natural language platform. I’ve been working at SoundHound for the last 3 years, before which I was at Yahoo where I worked on the Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI).
I’m very passionate about web development, empowering developers and democratizing AI, so my role is perfect for me, and I’m not really seeking a change at this time.
This website is where I get to share my thoughts on my passions: traveling, sports, and technology.
I have also built Pure CSS, a popular open-source CSS framework, along with numerous side projects.
Managing Distributed Teams
I’m responsible for managing and hiring engineers for the web team at SoundHound. I enjoy solving problems to ensure my colleagues love their work, stay productive, and understand that they’re making a vital contribution to the organization. I love talking about technology, and getting to know people. Currently, I manage a team of 6 engineers across three geographical locations.
My roles have involved me putting on a pseudo product manager hat at times, and I really enjoy it. I love analyzing user behavior, understanding data, and making logical decisions based on it.
Outside the computer screen
When my eyeballs are not glued to the beautiful retina display on my Macbook Pro, you’ll find me traveling, taking photos, or playing cricket. I’m also a big foodie and a chocoholic. Most of my travel photos are available on Flickr.
- Challenged myself to ship a product every month for the next 12 months, starting in March.
- Launched Remote Job Lists. It aggregates job listings from remote employers and presents them to users in an easy-to-search UI.
- Started working as an Engineering Manager at SoundHound, while still continuing to code.
- Was recognized as one of the Top 30 Under 30 Developers in Canada.
- Did a 15-day trek through the Himalayas. We trekked the Manaslu Circuit and went up to an altitude of 5106M, with 330,572 steps counted.
- Proposed to my girlfriend.
- Grew SoundHound’s web team to 7 engineers.
- Built SoundHound’s voice data acquisition pipeline to improve training data for our speech engine.
- Launched Node Web Apps, a website to help other developers become better frontend engineers.
- Visited Japan and China.
- Launched the initial version of Houndify, SoundHound’s natural language platform. Houndify now has over 15K developers building applications on it and has raised $75M.
- Developed SoundHound’s web application stack.
- Trekked to Machu Picchu via the Salkantay Trek.
- Joined SoundHound as a Senior Software Engineer to build out their web products.
- Visited Milan, Switzerland, Budapest, and Prague.
- Built and released Pure CSS along with Eric F. Pure currently has 17k+ stars on GitHub.
- Gave a talk at Yahoo Open Hack USA.
- Moved back to Toronto to work remotely.
- Graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelors in Applied Science in Systems Design Engineering.
- Moved to Sunnyvale and started working at Yahoo, building open-source components for the YUI Team.
- Visited New Zealand, Tahiti and Bora Bora.