I’m very passionate about web development, empowering developers and democratizing AI, so my role is perfect for me, and I’m not really seeking a change at this time.
This website is where I get to share my thoughts on my passions: traveling, photography, sports, and technology.
Things I’m Good At
Here’s a short list of things that I am good at.
Recently, I was recognized as one of the Top 30 Under 30 Developers in Canada by various organizations.
I have also built Pure, a popular open-source CSS framework, along with numerous side projects.
Managing Distributed Teams
I’m responsible for managing and hiring engineers for the web team at SoundHound. I enjoy solving problems to ensure my colleagues love their work, stay productive, and understand that they’re making a vital contribution to the organization. I love talking about technology, and getting to know people. Currently, I manage a team of 6 engineers across three geographical locations.
My roles have involved me putting on a pseudo product manager hat at times, and I really enjoy it. I love analyzing user behavior, understanding data, and making logical decisions based on it.
Outside the computer screen
When my eyeballs are not glued to the beautiful retina display on my Macbook Pro, you’ll find me traveling, taking photos, or playing cricket. I’m also a big foodie and a chocoholic. Most of my travel photos are available on Flickr.
- Challenged myself to ship a product every month for the next 12 months, starting in March.
- Launched Remote Job Lists. It aggregates job listings from remote employers and presents them to users in an easy-to-search UI. Ended up open sourcing the project.
- Built Query It for a friend. It’s a web application that helps manufacturing companies define a workflow and manage engineering queries.
- Helped build a white-labeled car auction site for some friends (sorry, no link available because it’s private). I hear about $10M+ worth of transactions have happened on it though.
- Got Married!
- Visited Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Bangkok, and Singapore.
- Completed my first full year as an Engineering Manager.
- Started working as an Engineering Manager at SoundHound, while still continuing to code.
- Was recognized as one of the Top 30 Under 30 Developers in Canada. They made a cool video about me.
- Did a 15-day trek through the Himalayas. We trekked the Manaslu Circuit and went up to an altitude of 5106M, with 330,572 steps counted.
- Proposed to my girlfriend.
- Grew SoundHound’s web team to 7 engineers.
- Built SoundHound’s voice data acquisition pipeline to improve training data for our speech engine.
- Launched Node Web Apps, a website to help other developers become better frontend engineers.
- Visited Japan and China.
- Launched the initial version of Houndify, SoundHound’s natural language platform. Houndify now has over 15K developers building applications on it and has raised $75M.
- Developed SoundHound’s web application stack.
- Trekked to Machu Picchu via the Salkantay Trek.
- Joined SoundHound as a Senior Software Engineer to build out their web products.
- Visited Milan, Switzerland, Budapest, and Prague.
- Built and released Pure CSS along with Eric F. Pure currently has 17k+ stars on GitHub.
- Gave a talk at Yahoo Open Hack USA.
- Moved back to Toronto to work remotely.
- Graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelors in Applied Science in Systems Design Engineering.
- Moved to Sunnyvale and started working at Yahoo, building open-source components for the YUI Team.
- Visited New Zealand, Tahiti and Bora Bora.
I’m currently not really on the lookout for new opportunities, but if you are going to try to get a hold of me, here’s what I like in a workplace:
- Working with smart people on impactful products
- Prefer working on products instead of platforms
- Large degree of ownership and responsibility
- Opportunities to learn new things
- Modern technology stack
- A company with a strong vision that treats its employees and its customers well